FREE for School of the Minds families.
Co-op led. Child-led discussions, with debate guidelines. Families will need to provide their own materials for class, such as paper and pens. Guardians may need to help their children formulate arguments during class.
- To become more proficient in speaking,
- To promote reasoning, critical thinking and logical arguments,
- To learn communication and presentation skills,
- To learn to express opinions assertively in a respectful manner.
Topics will include:
- How to formulate a formal argument,
- How to question an opposing argument,
- How to conduct a formal debate,
- Time permitting: discuss rules, the Constitution, the court room and conduct a mock trial.
We will be using topics about which the students are passionate. Introductory topics may include fairy tales, popular movies, and issues in everyday family life.